Recruiting the perfect addition to your board of directors is both iportant and challenging. A board of directors can reduce the risk in picking the wrong candidate by asking the right questions. George Bradt at Forbes says there are only three true interview questions:
- Can you do the job?
- Will you love the job?
- Can we tolerate working with you?
The right interview questions will help you find the answers and identify the perfect person for the job. According to Y Scouts, this list of 15 questions is what you need to ask a potential board member:
- Why are you interested in our organization?
- What do you know about us?
- What experience do you have that relates to our mission?
- What fundraising experience do you have?
- What connections or contacts can you contribute?
- How much time will you be able to contribute?
- What other resources can you contribute?
- What qualities make a great board member?
- What personal qualities can you bring to the board?
- What experience do you have that will be of value to our organization?
- What do you expect from the organization?
- What factors in your life might limit your ability to serve?
- How do you feel about performance evaluations?
- What motivates you as an individual?
- What role do you think you would play on the board?
Make sure to keep these interview questions close by when making the final decision of who your new board member will be.